Thursday, August 26, 2010

Faith

I'm starting a new series. This series focuses on virtues, and I've chosen to portray them through the eyes of women.

I was looking through some antique, old photographs of women the other day and I was struck by the natural, sincere emotions in their faces. I thought about how our photographs these days are so entirely posed, it is almost impossible to tell how that person was really feeling at that moment.
But when I looked at these women's eyes, I felt as if I was witnessing a real moment in their lives. I have been sketching some of the more powerful images I have found 0n an antiqued surface. I don't think I have done a series that has felt more natural to me. Oftentimes I try to think up something that is "deep" or philosophical. I feel like this has meaning, but that it isn't overdoing it, if you know what I mean.

There are many virtues to be found in these faces, but the titles I have selected are ones that I have felt are more prevalent in their respective pieces. What virtues do you see in some of the pieces I have posted? I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment