Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Thoughtful Dave


My first real portrait of Dave. I can't believe it has taken me this long to do a full color painting of him. But I finally have done it. (I'm not sure if it is finished... I might need to do a bit more of his shirt.)

It is so much easier to paint someone that you spend a lot of time with. You can catch the subtleties. Take something like Dave's nose for instance. Very characteristically Dave's. If I didn't spend as much time as I do with him, I don't know if I would have gotten it right. It took me several tries anyway. But it really was enlivening to try to capture those features I know so well. His eyebrows (that he actually gets compliments on quite often), his cheekbones, his lips, etc. I have studied these features very carefully, so it was almost second nature to paint them.

I started this piece today because I was feeling a little bit frustrated and hurt. I'd been in a stressful situation with stressed people, and I just needed an escape from the STRESS of the first few days of school. You know, those days when you actually realize just how much work you're going to be putting yourself through this semester. I've also been preparing for an art show, and that sort of thing unfailingly ends up being more work than you ever planned. Anyway, before I complain to all of you any longer, I guess what I'm getting at is I am grateful for the simple joys and calming happiness these features bring into my life. They not only make me feel happy, but confidant too. Even though I may not have the "deepest" art philosophy or most interesting paint strokes, someone who means an awful lot to me thinks that what I have to say or what I want to do is worth while. Thank you, thoughtful Dave.

3 comments:

  1. Anna. I love this portrait. I also loved your beautiful description of it. Thank you so much for sharing! I hope the school stress gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're pretty amazing, and a great artist too! What a lovely portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sweet. You're a good wife and fabulous artist. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete